Wednesday, September 9, 2009

So I'm in Oakland and What a long, great, trip it's been.






Q is SICK of riding! I think I am too.

We left Larry's in White Oak Texas and drove 17 hours and over 1000 miles. LOOOONG day! Had a nice easy drive to the Grand Canyon, and spent lots of time and film there, timed it just perfect to see the Hoover Dam pre-sunset, then drive through the pass just as night fall was on, to see Vegas all lit up! That place is a huge sea of lights. And I could see the strip from the pass. The strip was pretty gaudy...pretty much everything that's WRONG with America all in one mile of tacky-iness. We drove straight through that craziness and stopped for the night.

The next day, we drove through Death Valley, and I don't really need to do that again. Not a bad experience, but once you've seen that much desert, the awesome-ness of it fades. I turned my AC off about half-way through just to make sure it didn't over heat. But it did fine, and we made it through. And stopped right befor egoing into Yosemite. Turns out Yosemite is NOT dog friendly AT ALL. We could only be on paved roads and trails, which turned out to just be the roads...boring...i know it was for his own safety, from coyote's and mountain lions and such, but still...BORING. So I stayed for 2 nights at the ONLY hotel in Lee Vining that had vacancy. Turns out, NONE of the hotels in that town accepted pets, and the one hotel I stopped at didn't either. Nor did they take reservations(which is the only reason why I even got a room!), but the hotel owners, grand-daughter saw Q and fell in love, so she said we could stay if he didn't bark(that just meant I couldn't watch any "Wheel of Fortune"..ya know he goes crazy when a bell rings...and angels get their wings too.) So we stayed there and explored out skirts of Yosemite, climbing rocks and hiking trails. Q LOVED IT! Mono Lake was beautiful! It hurt to leave this morning, but after a 3-4 hour ride, we were in Oakland! Oaklands a BIIIG place. But everythings good and going on schedule!
I'm going to see Oakland and San Fran this week and weekend! can't wait. I'll post again soon!
Later
R~

No comments:

Post a Comment